HealthNet TPO is looking for a Psychiatric Consult to support the Kabul Mental Health (KMH) Hospital.
HealthNet builds healthy communities with people at the bottom end of globalisation. Our mission is to implement welfare and health initiatives that lead to social inclusion and improved health and wellbeing.
HealthNet is currently implementing a capacity building project in the KMH Hospital. This hospital is the only tertiary hospital in the country, providing specialized services in mental healthcare since 1986. Mental health problems significantly impair a person’s ability to function and negatively affect basic daily living, relationship, work and overall quality of life. The hospital aims to provide a responsive, high quality mental healthcare with ultimate goal to help an individual to be an active member of society. The KMH hospital has 100 beds where sixty beds are used for mentally ill patients and forty beds are allocated to provide rehabilitation services to individuals suffering from drug addiction. The hospital has a work force of 130 staff, which comprises eight trainer psychiatrists (7 male, 1 female), fifteen trainee doctors, nineteen nurses, thirteen psychologists, five social workers and two occupational therapists. The project started in July 2016 and will end June 30, 2018.
To support Psychiatry department of Kabul Mental Health Hospital to deliver quality mental health care. Tasks include:
1. Conduct a Rapid Need Assessment of psychiatric department of KMH to explore facilitating factors and barriers in providing quality psychiatric care. The
need assessment will particularly focus on identifying;
• training needs of psychiatry department staff
• requirements for the establishment of child/adolescent and emergency psychiatry units.
• procedures for the revision/implementation of existing curricula, SOPs and Pathways
2. Develop guidelines for Electro-Convulsive therapy (ECT), Child and Adolescent MH care, Forensic MH services and MH emergency services.
3. Develop clinical pathways for ADHD, bipolar disorder, depression, anxiety disorder and mental retardation.
4. Facilitate the implementation of the guidelines, protocols and clinical pathways.
5. Establish Psychiatric emergency section, child and adolescent psychiatry unit and expand the existing forensic psychiatric unit within KMH
6. Conduct supervision and on the job training to psychiatry department staff including trainees
7. Conduct ward round/visits to assess the performance of psychiatric department in providing quality mental health care.
8. Apply a Multi-Disciplinary Team (MDT) approach at KMH
9. Develop liaison psychiatry manual for doctors working in EPHS
• Train EPHS doctors on liaison psychiatry
10. Provide necessary guidance/technical support on specialized topics such as geriatric psychiatry, pharmacotherapy in the field of psychiatry and risk
assessment and its management.
11. Additional tasks and responsibilities include:
• Ensure collaboration with other team members
• Support OPD services
• Accompany MHH and Project staffs to relevant meeting and working groups to provide technical support.
• Prepare and submit monthly report, time sheet and end of consultancy report to project manager
You have/ are:
• Master degree in psychiatry
• As least five years of working experience in the field of Psychiatry
• Experience in curricula drafting, training/capacity building , supervision, policy and strategy formulation,
• Having work experience in mental health hospital
• Working with NGOs and government departments
• Prior experience of similar setting and in the countries in the region
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Networking and relationship building skills
• An opportunity to use your expertise and contribute to our mission to improve the health and well-being of people living in fragile states.
. duty station in Kabul, Afghanistan
• Starting as soon as possible. The work will be divided in to missions of several months with a total maximum duration of 15 months. The end date of the
project is June 30, 2018.
To apply, please send your CV and application letter (including your motivation) to: firstname.lastname@example.org by, May 1, 2017. When applying, include the following title in the email subject line: PCAFG Applications may be reviewed on a regular basis and we may conduct the selection process prior to the closing date.
For specific questions about this position, please contact our HR department via email@example.com or 020-6200005.
For more information about HealthNetTPO, please visit www.healthnettpo.org
Help mee, word donateur
HealthNet is er voor mensen die zorg hard nodig hebben. Soms hebben ze ondersteuning nodig bij het herstel van vertrouwen in hun gemeenschap. Soms moet er daadwerkelijk medische zorg verleend worden. Jij kunt meehelpen. Alle kleine beetjes helpen. Word direct donateur of doe online een gift.
Meld je aan voor de nieuwsbrief
Via onze nieuwsbrief houden we je op de hoogte van projecten, mensen, de organisatie en ander nieuws. De nieuwsbrief verschijnt ieder kwartaal en helpt je om ons, de projecten, maar vooral onze onmisbare lokale medewerkers beter te leren kennen.